Friday, March 3, 2017

DeWalt GE Radial Arm Saw rebuild Part 4A, getting motor running

Now that all the electricals have been re-wired and I have the motor bearings replaced, the motor fully cleaned and the new paint on the motor has dried and cured, I can connect the motor to the starter and see if it actually starts!

I had the bearings replaced at a motor shop as the motor is very heavy and I was going away, so I wanted it ready when I returned. I also wanted them to inspect the windings as I wanted this motor to be in top shape. They were fine. They cleaned the whole motor out for me while it was there. Unfortunately, they also painted it grey, including the motor badge!. A bit of Citri-Strip took that grey off but it also marred the black paint on the badge itself. I may take it off and have it remade, we will see. Seriously, of course I am going to have it remade, and it is already off to Jim Kull to be replicated. I painted over their grey for now with the metallic blue that I wanted.



An interesting color scheme for the whole carriage assembly, the yoke is white with red handles, the motor and motor mounts are blue and the handle on the yoke is red, good old red, white and blue.

The motor cable from the magnetic starter control box will be connected to the motor exactly as it was disconnected. I labeled each wire as I disconnected them at the start with different color electrical tape. All that needs to be done now is match them back up.

Magnetic starter with all new wiring installed.


The starter box is complete, well almost. I won't install the reset button until I'm sure everything is working. Actually, that reset button assembly is broken so I'll either have to source a replacement or try to fix the broken back piece of this one.


I set out to connect the motor up to the magnetic started box assembly and noticed that there didn't seem to be the right amount of leads in the electrical box on top of the motor. I took the cover off my standard arm GE motor and sure enough, the motor shop changed around the wiring for this motor, likely because I did not bring them the magnetic starter box and arm switch assembly. I was annoyed at first, but after thoroughly looking to see what was changed the fix was easy.


You can see in the photo above There is a lead coming off the top most terminal in the photo, it has a yellow end on it. That lead was removed by the motor shop. I'm no expert but that must be how they had to rig the wiring so they could test it.

I simply had to replace that lead and I should be good to go.

You can see the new lead, white wire, yellow terminal with black shrink tubing.
The re-connecting is fairly easy if you've labeled your wires when you took the motor assembly apart.
The ground obviously goes back to the ground screw, (green wire) the hot lead (black wire) goes back the black wire which comes out of the motor and the neutral goes to the new white lead we installed, technically you could wire that right to the terminal mount and I probably will when I put this together its final time.

Here is a video clip of the motor in operation.
The file was too large to post as a video here. You can copy this link to your browser to download it from my Azure Storage Account and view it.

https://machineryrestorations.blob.core.windows.net/publicfiles/images/IMG_0436.MOV

All that is left now is to install the switch back into the end cap, route the wire back down the arm and out the side so I can reinstall it to the magnetic starter box. Once that is complete, I can cut the cable for the motor-magnetic starter to its proper length and get that connected back up.

You will see all that in the rebuild part of the blog which will start next week.



No comments:

Post a Comment