Tuesday, April 4, 2017

DeWalt GE Radial Arm Saw rebuild Part 9, last minute items prior to re-assembly-Part 2

I know, I know, Part 9 was supposed to be the last minute items prior to reassembly, but I decided I wanted to remake the badges for the motor and column as they were not in a condition I liked for this restoration.

I had Jim Kull replicate the badges, and as usual, he did a fantastic job.

Actually, the first photo shows how I prepared the badges for installation. Both of these badges mounted on curved surfaces. It is helpful to get them curved to some extent prior to installing them.
I taped the badges around a canister and let them sit that way for half a day. Once I took them off they fit the curves on the machine rather nicely.


To install them I taped them in their proper position, center punched the holes and mounted them with number 0 x 3/16" drive screws. These require a #51 drill bit for the hole. I nicked the paint on the rim which I'm sure you all can see so I'll have to touch that up.

Here are the two badges reinstalled in their proper locations.




In addition to these cosmetic items, I want to strengthen the base assembly as I am putting this saw on casters (2000 lb capability). This will make it easier to move if necessary. I will level the base as best I can once the legs are installed on the base. I will use shimming washers were necessary, to get it as level as possible.

One of my friends, who has an auto body shop, did the welding for me as I don't have any welding equipment...yet.



Unfortunately, this is adding additional work for me as I now have to re-strip the legs, prime and paint them again. Oh well. What I've done here is add a 1/4" thick steel plate on the bottom of the leg for two reasons;

  1. To add weight distribution
  2. To provide a flat surface to weld the casters to
The gussett provides added strength to the assembly (the triangular piece welded from the seam of the leg to the bottom pad).



Not the best welding job in my opinion, and my friends too, but they were having wire feeding issues with their welder. It only cost me two bottles of Italian wine, so I can't complain.

I got the first coat of primer and paint done today.


Not sure why they look so tilted, they must be sitting on the seam of the two cardboard boxes they are sitting on.

I am also adding triangular 3/16" steel supports, one on each side of the base-leg attachment area. This will held the rigidity of the leg, or so I learned from a number of posts where similar methods were employed to add rigidity to the base. I am still cutting those triangles and drilling the mounting holes. They will have to be sanded, primed and painted as well. I will be painting those red so they will be very noticeable additions to the frame.

Painted, waiting to be drilled.



I also wanted to have vinyl decals made to replicate the blade guard wording. I had these made at vinyldisorder.com. They were quick, did a great job, spruced up my artwork and they were something like $8 a piece, I can't remember now. You will notice the decal is a bit crooked, I will be sanding it off and repainting the guard to reapply a new decal, that's why I bought five of them. ((-:


In the next few days I should complete the rigidity plates and the leg painting. THAT WILL BE EVERYTHING! 

I will start the reassembly shortly thereafter.
My apologies for the slow speed of this restoration but I travel a lot in the winter and can only work on this when time permits.

Starting in May, when I travel less, I will be completing my GW-2 restoration and posting every few days until I complete it.

See you in a week or so.


No comments:

Post a Comment